[WSBAPT] EIN Difficulty with IRS - The Rest of the Story

Jennifer L White jen at appletreelaw.com
Wed Oct 26 11:51:11 PDT 2022

Just to clarify – I ALWAYS do the online application and get the EIN immediately. This time, for the first time ever for me, the “system” kept giving me an error code and listed an IRS phone # to call. I made numerous attempts to finagle it through the online process to no avail (changes to the name, middle initial, full middle name, just initials for both, or not), then spent 3 days trying to get someone on the IRS phone #. I kept getting a message indicating they couldn’t answer the phone and to call back ANOTHER DAY ☹

At that point, I could fax it in or snail mail, both of those no direct cost, but take more time. Fax results (per Sara Longley’s confirmation) take a few weeks too, so I thought I would give the paid service a try to see if they were any quicker. Take away from my experience: When you have an error code producing filing, the paid service isn’t any faster than fax filing. I still don’t know why the filing was a problem other than the decedent’s first and last names were very common.

Jennifer L. White, Esq.
[cid:image002.jpg at 01D8E930.D2588BF0]

jen at appletreelaw.com<mailto:jen at appletreelaw.com>
PO Box 11037