[WSBAPT] Help - car titles make me crazy

Diane J. Kiepe DJKiepe at depdslaw.com
Fri Oct 21 08:31:24 PDT 2022

I have had this issue come up 2 times this year but never before that.

Car titles have 2 names on it (in one case Husband and Wife (legally separated) and in the other Father and Son).  Titles either have both names with no designation (Owner:  H with W below) or Husband and/or Wife; Father and/or Son.

Wife dies - Father dies.  Both H and S claim full ownership without being part of their distributive share.  In the H W case it's not a big deal because intestacy laws say all to surviving spouse but in the second case I say S has to take the value of ½ towards his distributive share as "and/or" is not the same thing as joint with rights of survivorship.

Diane J. Kiepe

Diane J. Kiepe
Douglas Eden
717 W. Sprague Ave.