[WSBAPT] Seal Police Report Related to Decedent's Death?

Andrekita Silva ak at seattle-silvalaw.com
Thu Oct 20 21:27:09 PDT 2022

  Law Office of
F.ANDREKITA SILVA

October 20, 2022

James,

I don’t know if anyone responded to your inquiry.

I was out of town this last week and meant to respond before I left
but I don’t think I did.
Anyway, I think you would start with the Public Records Act, RCW 42.56.

I researched this issue in the past for a family law matter.  Unless
the incident is under a current police investigation, I'm sure the
records will be released. I believe it is very difficult to seal
public records, including records relating to accidents that resulted
in a death.  You can only seal if there is an invasion of privacy, but
that means that it would be highly offensive to a reasonable person
and that there is no legitimate concern to the public. It’s a pretty
high standard.

But, I'd be curious about what you learn.

andrekita
Law Office of F. Andrekita Silva
1325 Fourth Avenue, Suite 2000
Seattle, Washington 98101
206-224-8288
www.seattle-silvalaw.com

Quoting "James W. Spencer" <jamess at brothershenderson.com>:

> Greetings Hivemind:
>

>    I represent the surviving spouse of a decedent who died in a
> recreational accident. She’s been contacted by the local police
> authority who has told her that a local paper has asked for a copy
> of the police report related to the accident. For privacy purposes,
> she’s asking me if there is a way to have the police report sealed.
>

>    Has anyone seen something like this before? I don’t know if it
> can be done, and frankly I’m not sure where to start.
>

>    Any input would be greatly appreciated.
>

>    Thank you,
>

>    James
>

>    James W. Spencer /(he/him)/
>

>    Attorney at Law
>

>    Brothers & Henderson, P.S.
>

>    936 N 34th St, Suite 200
>

>    Seattle, Washington 98103
>

>    Phone: (206) 324-4300 x106
>

>    Fax: (206) 324-3106
>

>    e-mail:   jamess at brothershenderson.com[1]
>

>    www.brothershenderson.com[2]
>

>    The information transmitted in this e-mail message and
> attachments is attorney-client information, is privileged or
> confidential material and is intended only for the use of the
> individual or entity named above. You are hereby notified that any
> disclosure, copying, distribution, review by or taking of any action
> in reliance on the contents of this e-mail information by
> unauthorized persons is strictly prohibited. All personal messages
> are solely the views of the sender and are not to be attributed to
> Brothers & Henderson, P.S. If you have received this transmission in
> error, immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and permanently
> delete this transmission and all copies including attachments.

Links:
------
[1] mailto:jamess at brothershenderson.com
[2] http://www.brothershenderson.com/