[WSBAPT] Mandating Therapy as testamentary trust provision

Laura Latta laura at lauralatta.com
Wed Oct 19 10:51:55 PDT 2022

A very interesting discussion.

Another issue I could foresee with enforcing this provision would be
knowing what topics were discussed in therapy. The counselor would
presumably not be able to share such information with the PR/Trustee. How
would the PR know that the family trauma was being addressed even if the
beneficiary attended counseling sessions. In fact, it might be difficult
finding a good counselor to take on the patient/beneficiary under the
circumstances. For example would the counselor agree to address the
traumatic issue in X number of sessions before establishing trust with the
patient?

I wonder if a holdback provision that focuses on whether the beneficiary
would be harmed by the inheritance or unable to manage the
inheritance based on mental health might get closer to the client's goal in
a more manageable way rather than trying to mandate therapy for a specific
issue? Perhaps you could include precatory language stating that seeking
therapy should be taken into consideration in favor of distribution? More
of a nudge toward therapy than a requirement... Just thinking out loud.

*Laura LattaLaw Office of Laura Latta PLLC*

she/her

Phone (206) 841-2344

www.LauraLatta.com

4010 NE Lake Washington Blvd. Ste. 202

Kirkland, WA 98033

*NOTICE:  This communication may contain privileged or other confidential
information. If you have received it in error, please advise the sender by
replying to this email and immediately delete the message and any
attachments without copying it or disclosing its contents to others.*