[WSBAPT] Long list of beneficiaries

Diane J. Kiepe DJKiepe at depdslaw.com
Tue Oct 18 16:06:04 PDT 2022

Ann,

While it’s permissible, I typically don’t advise it except for in unusual circumstances which your facts may very well support.  The reason I don’t typically advise this is directly related to creditor protection issues (no matter how seemingly remote) as well as potential acceleration of income taxes related to qualified plans in an estate – worse case scenario is the amounts from a qualified plan are paid to the estate, and the PR, who is usually a friend or family, decides to make distributions at the end of the probate thereby trapping the plan income in the estate – anything over about $12,500 becomes taxable at the highest tax rate (I want to say 37% but I always look it up when I am visiting with a client on this issue).

I may have some sources that I can forward in the near future that share more on my summary above.

Diane J. Kiepe

Diane J. Kiepe
Douglas Eden
717 W. Sprague Ave.