[WSBAPT] Client signed estate docs for his dying spouse in front of notary but also was second witness

Eric Nelsen eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Tue Oct 11 16:56:07 PDT 2022

Josh-I read the thing too fast and answered too stupid. You are right. The will needs two disinterested witnesses to attest, and all they had was the notary (who can sometimes function as a substitute witness).

I was focused solely on the act of signing by another's hand at the testator's direction. I do not think that the person who signs at the testator's direction has to be disinterested; it could be even a spouse. The protection for the testator against undue influence is the two attesting witnesses, not the person signing at testator's direction.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
Sayre Law Offices, PLLC
1417 31st Ave South
Seattle WA 98144-3909
206-625-0092
eric at sayrelawoffices.com<mailto:eric at sayrelawoffices.com>

Covid-19 Update - All attorneys are working remotely during regular business hours and are available via email and by phone. Videoconferencing also is available. Signing of estate planning documents can be completed and will be handled on a case-by-case basis. Please direct mail and deliveries to the Seattle office.