[WSBAPT] LOPA with disclaimer of interest?

Diane J. Kiepe DJKiepe at depdslaw.com
Fri Oct 7 14:09:22 PDT 2022

Kendel,

You cannot get to your end result by disclaimer.  Disclaimer is a technical legal term – once someone disclaims, that property goes in a very specific direction as provided by for in law (not as one just directs).

Your primary issue here is the fact that wife’s home is likely going to be viewed as her separate property that transfers to her adult children and husband under the laws of intestacy (subject to any possible martial claim that can be supported).  I am involved in something similar now.  The bank account is probably more easily classified as community if both persons  used the account.

If all the parties are on board, you could get everything passed to the husband via TEDRA.

Feel free to ring me if you have any follow up questions.
Diane J. Kiepe

Diane J. Kiepe
Douglas Eden
717 W. Sprague Ave.