[WSBAPT] DSHS Creditor's Claim

Leighann Hansing hansinglegal at outlook.com
Mon Oct 3 09:07:08 PDT 2022

Good morning,
I have a client who was appointed PR of an estate. He is not a family member. He is just a nice guy that was willing to assist. He was unaware of the extent of the claim by DSHS (he actually called several times to determine the amount but was told he had to be appointed as PR first.) The claim is greater than the total value of the estate as the only asset is a small condo. This is a new one for me and I would love some guidance and/or suggestions regarding his options.

Assuming he does not or is not permitted to resign as PR, I know that we need to notify the Court of potential insolvency. Will DSHS negotiate? I would assume so if it means keeping a motivated PR, right?

And, just confirming that his fees as PR, my fees, and any bills that he paid out of pocket would come off the top? (This is remedial, I know. But DSHS seems to have their own rules.) What if he resigns?

Thank you to anyone who has and takes the time to respond.

Warm regards,

Leigh Ann Hansing
Attorney  |  MBA
Mobile: (425) 202-5922