[WSBAPT] attachment to beneficiary's share of estate for judgement

Bruce Moen brm at moenlaw.com
Tue Nov 29 11:39:25 PST 2022

Hi Diane,

As a PR, I've been hit with many forms  of attachment of an heirs distributive share.
I've also obtained judgment and then attached a distributive share, but it has been many years now.

Once you have the judgement, the lien of the judgement can be attached once the debtor has a vested right to the distribution of the asset. The timing can be tricky if the PR is not cooperative and also depending upon whether they close the administration by NPs or by a Decree. Easier if by a Decree. You cannot attach earlier because the attachment may interfere with the PR's power to administer the asset like selling, borrowing against, etc.

As for a TEDRA action to attach, I've never considered that.  Why not just petition directly to the probate court because there is obvious standing.

These are just my impressions from years ago.  I defer to anyone with recent experience.

Good luck!

  Bruce  Moen