[WSBAPT] Question re: Governing Law

Brent Williams-Ruth brent at williams-ruthlaw.com
Wed Nov 9 12:33:12 PST 2022

Greetings List -

I have a PC (that may not become a client) that is unhappy with their
original attorney. OK, that's fine, everyone can choose their own counsel.
They would like to come to my firm. OK, sounds great. They have sent me
their documents.....an RLT that has the governing law of California.

I ask - do you have any contact/assets in California? No. None. Have never
even visited.

They were told by their previous attorney that they could choose any state
they wanted that would be good for Trusts to be the controlling law.

Looking to hear from anyone regarding how a Washington resident, with only
Washington property (for the sake of this query assume all finances are
held at a local Credit Union with no branches or contacts with any state
other than Washington) can select the applicable law of another state to
control their estate planning.

Thank you!

.

*Brent Williams-Ruth* (pronouns: he/him)
*Attorney-At-Law*

*Law Offices of Brent Williams-Ruth, **a division of BWR Consulting, PLLC*

*Physical Address: 500 S 336th Street, Suite 214; Federal Way, WA 98003*

***EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY** All mail sent through the USPS should be sent to
the following address: **PO BOX 3319; Federal Way, WA 98063 *

Office/Scheduling Phone: (253) 285-7751

Direct: (253) 285-7453

e-mail <Brent at Williams-RuthLaw.com> / website
<http://www.williams-ruthlaw.com/> / facebook
<http://www.facebook.com/bwrlaw> /