[WSBAPT] Fwd: An HOV Violation question

Andrekita Silva ak at seattle-silvalaw.com
Tue Nov 1 00:45:10 PDT 2022

Law Office of
F.ANDREKITA SILVA

October 31, 2022

Dave,

I couldn’t say for sure but I assume that there is a photo of every
single car that travels on every single lane on a toll road. I say
this because on a couple occasions, I haven’t had my flex pass in my
car (or it fell on the floor or something and was not read). I got a
letter in the mail saying, “you owe xxxx for travel… if you have a
pass, call us and you will pay xxxx less.”

So, my license plate# was read as I drove through. They tracked down
my car, my address, and sent me a bill.
I assume DOT knew which lane I was in, too.

Can I assume that the officer actually pulled over your friend and you
are reading off the citation the officer wrote?
I'm  fairly positive the camera reads only the license plate and
doesn’t capture who is in the car- so you only get cited if a cop
catches you as a single in the HOV lane.

Whenever you get a citation, the citation must give you notice of your
infraction. So, it the ticket was issued by seattle police, it must
say SMC xxxx.   (for Seattle Muni Code) , or if Wa.State Trooper, it
must say RCW xxxx., etc.

I once had a ticket thrown out in Seattle Muni court because the
ticket had the number of the ordinance, but it didn’t have SMC in
front of the number.
Judge agreed it was insufficient notice. The prosecutor moved to amend
and judge said "nah, too late."  I assume some judge's may have
permitted the amendment.

You can request discovery and the city/ county etc. will have to give
you everything in their file.

It is a rare judge that will not believe a cop who testifies that they
saw this person in the HOV lane before stopping them for being in the
HOV lane.

Maybe your friend should just write and say "mea culpa mea culpa" it
was an accident- I drove this on xxx with passengers and forgot to
change back.
Please give me a warning."

andrekita
Law Office of F. Andrekita Silva