[WSBAPT] Intestate Inheritance

Jeff at bellanddavispllc.com Jeff at bellanddavispllc.com
Tue May 31 13:48:39 PDT 2022

Thank you all for your responses on this question.  Several of you point to
the tracing concept in that the property really belongs to the person who
paid for it.  I understand that in the situation of a divorce, or some other
separation while both parties, to the deed, are living.  But in a probate,
where as here, the property was bought in 1998 and title taken as H & W, are
you really going to trace the purchase proceeds, where the H & W were not
contemplating separation or divorce?  Are we turning probate into a family
brawl?  What about the sanctity under these facts?

I had a related issue where H, by Will, gave 2nd wife a large cash payment
and a life estate in his separate property home.  His children from H's
first marriage, tried to have the probate court offset that cash payment by
one-half of the "community debt" secured by the house (the bank had required
the 2nd wife sign on the loan regardless of the fact she was not on title to
the house").  The court denied the kid's request saying one, the Will did
not reduce her claim by such debt, and it was the bank that required her to
sign although the debt was secured by H's separate property.

I am curious how often does this tracing become an issue.

Jeff

W. Jeff Davis

BELL & DAVIS PLLC
P.O. Box 510

720 E. Washington Street, Suite 105
Sequim WA 98382
Phone: (360) 683.1129
Fax: (360) 683.1258
email: jeff at bellanddavispllc.com <mailto:jeff at bellanddavispllc.com>
 <http://www.bellanddavispllc.com/> www.bellanddavispllc.com

confidential, and protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended
recipient, any dissemination, distribution, or copying is strictly
prohibited. If you think that you have received this e-mail message in
error, please e-mail the sender at  <mailto:info at bellanddavispllc.com>
info at bellanddavispllc.com  or call 360.683.1129.