[WSBAPT] Legal Fees Awarded

Andrekita Silva ak at seattle-silvalaw.com
Mon May 23 16:26:21 PDT 2022

  Law Office of
F.ANDREKITA SILVA

May 23, 2022

Diane,

I’ve never been awarded a judgment against someone in a probate action.

However, unless the person voluntarily satisfies the judgment by
paying the legal fees (and then you execution a satisfaction of
judgment and filing it with the court), I  am just guessing but I
assume you would have to take garnishment action against this debtor
just as you would against any other judgment debtor.

You’d garnish either the debtor’s wages/ earnings or a bank account.

You can walk through the garnishment statute RCW 6.27. and you can do
this yourself. The forms are on the court’s website at
https://www.courts.wa.gov/    This is extraordinarily time consuming.
You can be compensated for your legal fees but the last time I
checked,  legal fees are $100.00 or 10% of the amount left to collect,
not to exceed $300.00.

Hopefully, the judgment awarded is large enough to make it worth your
time.  I believe there are attorneys out there who regularly handle
garnishment actions.  I assume they use paralegals and have other ways
to stream line their process and make it worth it for them.

andrekita
Law Office of F. Andrekita Silva
1325 Fourth Avenue, Suite 2000
Seattle, Washington 98101
206-224-8288
www.seattle-silvalaw.com

Quoting "Diane J. Kiepe" <DJKiepe at depdslaw.com>:

> Hello Everyone,
>

>    I am curious if you could share with me the steps you would take
> (or have taken), or direct me to a good source in the event, one is
> awarded a judgement that consists primarily or solely of attorney
> fees and when there is no estate to be distributed to the person
> whom legal fees are assessed against.
>

>    Thanks in advance – my Monday morning brain is in slow motion.
>

>    /Diane J. Kiepe/
>

>    / /
>

>    Diane J. Kiepe
>

>    Douglas Eden