[WSBAPT] Estate bank account logistics for permanent US resident

Suzanne Lieberman suzanne at cmslawfirm.com
Thu May 19 09:26:10 PDT 2022

Good morning,

We have a probate decedent who lived, died and owned assets in WA state but
whose entire family lives in Germany. Is his brother (PR/our client)
permitted to open an estate bank account with a German bank or must it be a
U.S. bank? If a U.S. bank, how would the brother get the EIN? Germany has
the equivalent of a social security number (Sozialversicherungsnummer) but
I'm not sure that's what's needed to get their equivalent tax ID with
German banks. Our firm is the resident agent. Thanks for any help!

Sincerely,

Suzanne Lieberman
CMS Law Firm LLC <http://cmslawfirm.com/>
*811 Kirkland Ave. Suite 201 *(please note new address!)
Kirkland, WA 98033
206-383-6484 (Cell Phone)
206-659-1512 (Main Office)

Legal stuff I have to put in... *To ensure compliance with Treasury
Department and IRS regulations, we inform you that, unless expressly
indicated otherwise, any federal tax advice contained in this communication
(including any attachments) is not intended or written by CMS Law Firm LLC
to be used, and cannot be used by the taxpayer, for the purpose of: (i)
avoiding penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer under the Internal
Revenue Code; or (ii) promoting, marketing, or recommending to another
party any transaction or matter addressed herein (or any attachments).*