[WSBAPT] Beneficiary Being Left In the Dark

Joshua McKarcher josh at mckarcherlaw.com
Thu May 5 17:20:21 PDT 2022

I'm with Dalynne if (1) your client is an intestate heir at law, and (2) there is any reasonable probability that there are assets to pay your client's fees and costs.

Unless I am mistaken, she will almost certainly be the only person to have done anything to administer this estate PROPERLY. I mean, what are the other options?

  1.  Someone who has the will and is nominated PR simply hasn't done so? That should be cause for them NOT to be appointed if they suddenly showed up after your filing. Your client's costs should easily be covered as "the only intestate heir who did anything after trying to give those with priority a chance to do something."

  1.  Intestate heirs with priority of appointment who also have not opened an administration but have just "self-helped" to decedent's assets? Your client's costs should again easily be covered for the same reason above.

  1.  Some trustee is administering an RLT with pour-over will that nobody probated or even filed with a court? Well, if someone told her she was a beneficiary and then again did nothing to inform her properly, her petition for probate - even if met with a pour-over will admitted for probate - will get her information about the trust of which she may or may not be a beneficiary. But again, unless your judges are super stingy, he action to actually GET THE WILL TO A COURT as required by law should earn her fees and costs.

Unless there are no assets, or they were wiped out by a Medicaid lien or secured creditor - and nobody has the manners to simply tell your client that - then she seems in a good position to get a Superior Court to compel a proper administration of this decedent's estate.

Her family are not playing by the rules we all agree to live by. I dislike that, as I dislike bullies. I hope she chooses to proceed.

Good luck!

Best, Josh

Joshua D. McKarcher
McKarcher Law PLLC