[WSBAPT] Sweden probate matter

Joshua McKarcher josh at mckarcherlaw.com
Mon May 2 17:33:22 PDT 2022

Dear Listmates:

If you have been involved with an estate administration of a decedent who was a resident of Sweden, I would like to consider retaining you on my client's behalf. Or if you know who could assist me (in English) to determine the status of a deceased Swedish resident's estate, I would be grateful for your referral to that person so we might retain them.

Slightly more detail for those interested:

A client's sister died in a car wreck in Sweden. We believe she was intestate, but we do not "know." Before we open intestacy proceedings respecting her interest in real property in Latah County, Idaho - which, thankfully, has a very straightforward outcome under Idaho law if she is indeed intestate - I am hoping to retain a US lawyer who can assist in making contact in Sweden with the funeral home that first contacted my client's family in the US and apparently was charged under Swedish law with appointing the equivalent of an executor in Sweden. (Or, if all of that sounds like nonsense coming to me through well-meaning but mistaken US relatives, then I instead need a lawyer who can assist in determining the status of the deceased sister's estate in Sweden in whatever way one does that, including by contacting a Swedish firm who can assist.)

Thanks, Josh

Joshua D. McKarcher
McKarcher Law PLLC
537 6th Street