[WSBAPT] Can an Out-of-state PR use WA Ltrs Testamentary to open an Estate Account in California?

Michael Geoghegan nwstrategyandplanning at outlook.com
Mon Mar 14 19:23:58 PDT 2022

Dear Listmates,

I represent an out-of-state PR living California. Decedent held accounts with Chase Bank.  PR went to Chase Bank in California, and the bank happily forked over all of Decedent's money in a cashier's check made out to the Estate.

Then it got weird.  Chase refuses to open an estate account to receive the deposit until I send them a letter stating that Letters Testamentary from Washington are "fully enforceable" in California.

Has anyone come across this situation before? Are there jurisdictional limits to Letters Testamentary that preclude Chase from opening the estate account in California?

-Michael

Michael Geoghegan
Northwest Strategy and Planning, PLLC
t: 206.353.5592
e: michael at nwstrategyandplanning.com

w: nwstrategyandplanning.com<http://nwstrategyandplanning.com> | LinkedIN<https://www.linkedin.com/in/michael-geoghegan-5893407>

Scheduling: https://northwest-strategy-and-planning-pllc.appointlet.com

[1455905947881_NWStrategyPlanningLogo_email.png]