[WSBAPT] Personal Liability of PR and Income Taxes

Bruce Moen brm at moenlaw.com
Tue Mar 1 17:04:55 PST 2022

I have had this several times to me personally when I've been appointed as the Successor PR.

1.  I ask the IRS for the back transcripts.  How far back is ad hoc depending upon what else I know of the decedent, the estate, whether the decedent had an accountant, etc.

2.  I retain the services of an accountant to prepare the final 1040 and any 1041 Returns.

3.  I transfer the risk for liability in the engagement letter with the accounting firm. That is, I want in writing that they assess what is required to meet the filing requirements and that they will undertake on my behalf to meet all of the reporting requirements of the IRS and the Dept of Revenue.

If a large estate with a messy tax history, disputed back audits and the like, with large numbers, then I engage a large accounting firm with (hopefully) deep pockets for potential malpractice coverage. Then if I get sued for liability, then my carrier can bring in their carrier.

At least, that's what I have evolved over the years.  Alot depends upon your assessment of the level of risk.

Hope this is helpful.

  Bruce Moen