[WSBAPT] Community Property/Marital Trust Questions

Diane J. Kiepe DJKiepe at depdslaw.com
Thu Jun 23 10:10:41 PDT 2022

Natalie,

I have dealt with this issue several times and it would be difficult to explain by e-mail but I would be happy to chat with you on my approach.  The Limited Power of Appointment in favor of spouse has no bearing on Marital vs Bypass but, if the language allows for the Martial Trust to make varying QTIP elections you are going to want to consider (based on make up of other assets) a 100% Federal QTIP and 0% State QTIP since you have a filing requirement for the state anyway.

If you'd like to dialogue, let me know.

Diane J. Kiepe

Diane J. Kiepe
Douglas Eden