[WSBAPT] Confirmation of (No) Duty to Respond

Joshua McKarcher josh at mckarcherlaw.com
Tue Jun 21 20:38:28 PDT 2022

Another very thoughtful post, Phil. Although Brent has no duty to advise the caller, I nonetheless commend to my fellow estate administration lawyers' consideration RCW 11.40.070(4) (https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=11.40.070), pasted below in italics. I have always understood it to implement Washington's policy choice in favor of paying valid claims without a bunch of rigmarole or threat of lawsuits and ethical charges where they aren't deserved. (Consider also that many wills expressly request that their PR pay final expenses - don't overlook that separate instruction that may apply to your client.)

. . . (4) Notwithstanding any other provision of this chapter, if a claimant makes a written demand for payment within the time limits set forth in RCW 11.40.051, the personal representative may waive formal defects and elect to treat the demand as a claim properly filed under this chapter if: (a) The claim was due; (b) the amount paid is the amount of indebtedness over and above all payments and offsets; (c) the estate is solvent; and (d) the payment is made in good faith. Nothing in this chapter limits application of the doctrines of waiver, estoppel, or detrimental claims or any other equitable principle.

Although I still believe that fiduciary duties run formally to beneficiaries in a solvent estate, I see no good reason not to pay valid and "reasonably if not formally asserted" claims during the administration of the "usual, patently-solvent estate," particularly if the claims are of the nature of final medical or nursing care expenses.

RCW 11.40.070(4) permits payment of the usual, uncontroversial invoice sent in (what one might call) the "ordinary course of business" by a claimant and received by a PR, trustee, or his/her attorney in the months after death, without any formal filing of a claim.

I view the claim statutes as critical to achieving finality for our clients and their beneficiaries. I sent a LOT of notices to my clients' "known or reasonably ascertainable" creditors. However, that does mean the statutes construct a trap for the unwary service provider. Respectfully, that does not serve any of public policy, PRs, or lawyers advising them.

Best regards, Josh

Joshua D. McKarcher
McKarcher Law PLLC
537 6th Street