[WSBAPT] Division One Case re: Duty to Initiate Probate

Eric Nelsen eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Tue Jun 21 15:20:41 PDT 2022

I agree with you, not the court. The court misspoke. The statutory duty is to file the will. There is no duty to initiate a probate. Lots of decedents with wills pass with no need for a probate. Lots of people have RLTs to avoid a probate and execute a pour-over will only to catch assets inadvertently left out of the trust. People die testate but without assets, with assets but all of them are non-probate, etc.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
Sayre Law Offices, PLLC
1417 31st Ave South
Seattle WA 98144-3909
206-625-0092
eric at sayrelawoffices.com<mailto:eric at sayrelawoffices.com>

Covid-19 Update - All attorneys are working remotely during regular business hours and are available via email and by phone. Videoconferencing also is available. Signing of estate planning documents can be completed and will be handled on a case-by-case basis. Please direct mail and deliveries to the Seattle office.