[WSBAPT] Assignment of beneficiary's interest in estate

Philip N. Jones pjones at duffykekel.com
Mon Jun 20 14:50:17 PDT 2022

By the way, and off the subject of how to get the assets to the stepchildren, and at the risk of starting a whole new debate, this story lends support for why attorneys should keep the original signed will in their file or in a vault.  Much less likely to be misplaced.
Of course, solo and small firm practitioners don't like to keep original wills, because they will want to retire someday.  Large and medium firm attorneys are happy to do it, because it eventually becomes someone else's problem.  I fall into the latter category.  There is something very satisfying about receiving a call from a family member telling me that Dad has died, and I then express condolences and point out that I have the original will.  I don't care if the family goes to a different firm for the probate, I have done them a great service by making the original will readily available.
Practicing law is a service industry.
Phil Jones
Portland, OR

Philip N. Jones