[WSBAPT] Joint Account with no Surviving Joint Owner

Marcus J. Fry mjf at witherspoonkelley.com
Thu Jun 2 10:19:03 PDT 2022

Take a look at the Taufen v. Kirpes case, 155 Wash.App. 598 (Div. 3 2010).  Despite this decision, I still encounter bank tellers telling clients to check the joint owner with ROS box when a person simply wants to grant access to someone to assist in paying bills, but not for the intention of inheriting the funds in the account at death.  I should note the box does not explain the legal implications of the choice.  Might be the exact situation for GF.  Could file a declaratory action against GF.

-Marcus

Marcus J. Fry
Attorney | Witherspoon * Kelley
mjf at witherspoonkelley.com<mailto:mjf at witherspoonkelley.com> | Attorney Profile<https://www.witherspoonkelley.com/marcus-j-fry> | vCard<https://www.witherspoonkelley.com/s/mfj.vcf>

[cid:WK-Email-Logo_8ac8613e-356a-401d-bc99-22b12b819f24.png]

222 N. 3rd Street
Yakima, WA 98901
(509) 248-7220 (office)
(509) 575-1883 (fax)
witherspoonkelley.com

Confidentiality Notice: The information contained in this email and any accompanying attachment(s) is intended only for the use of the intended recipient and may be confidential and/or privileged. If any reader of this communication is not the intended recipient, unauthorized use, disclosure or copying is strictly prohibited, and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender by return email, and delete the original message and all copies from your system. Thank you.