[WSBAPT] One-Sided CPA and Step Up

Joshua McKarcher josh at mckarcherlaw.com
Wed Jul 20 08:43:01 PDT 2022

Jacob,

I am not qualified to give you a consult, paid or otherwise, on real, actual Medicaid planning, so this email is worth what you’re paying for it. ;)

But it occurs to me that — among other issues, and even perhaps regardless of Medicaid — you have the wife (who is on Medicaid already I gather) making an instantaneous gift of her entire estate to her husband the moment before her husband dies. I don’t think that’s likely feasible, especially if she’s on Medicaid. Even her credit card company whom she pays off every month after charging expenses for cash back or airline miles or Starbucks points would have something to say about that magnanimous gift.

But on a higher level, I'm not sure what this agreement accomplishes that "doing nothing at all" doesn't already accomplish. To my understanding, if the wife died first with no document, step up occurs anyhow on all CP. Medicaid lien attaches, but it's not enforced until after husband dies. Assets are usable by husband within bounds of Medicaid during lifetime. After his death, Medicaid collects on wife's lien.

If husband dies first, I think maybe you just want his half of the estate going into some kind of special needs trust you're talking about, but probably on the understanding that it may be exposed to Medicaid recovery after her death.

But I don't know, because it seems that for her to be on Medicaid she would have had to have qualified in the first place, before all this planning is implemented, and at a time when her half of their estate was spent down or "whatever."

So, like I say, it seems possible that none of the above is worth much more than the bits and bytes conveying this electronic message. But, I tried, so you didn't just have silence bashing up against your excellent efforts! Now you know why I refer out all real, actual, live Medicaid planning! (It is all of those things, and like an alligator, can snatch you up and swallow you whole before you know it! Or at least leave you without a limb and wondering what on earth just happened.)

Good luck!

Best, Josh

Joshua D. McKarcher
McKarcher Law PLLC