[WSBAPT] Transferring LLC Units

Eric Nelsen eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Fri Jul 15 14:22:32 PDT 2022

Joshua—Thanks for this exchange; maybe this time I’ll actually remember for a while that RCW 11.02.091<https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=11.02.091> exists.

In the meantime, I had another brief thought on this. I haven’t looked at the Uniform Probate Code commentary to find out if this is true, but I wonder if this provision was intended more like a severability clause for the “instrument of transfer”? I think there were old instances in the cases where long and complex documents with multiple purposes were deemed invalid in their entirety because they included a transfer-on-death provision in one section. Thinking of it that way, the operative part of the statute, subsection (1), might be read merely to “sever” the invalid TOD clause from the remainder of the instrument:

(1) An otherwise effective written instrument of transfer may not be deemed testamentary solely because of a provision for a nonprobate transfer at death in the instrument.

That by itself doesn’t actually say that the TOD clause is valid; it just says that the “otherwise effective written instrument” may not be deemed testamentary “solely” because it contains a TOD clause. Thus, saving the instrument from invalidity, but not necessarily rendering valid the TOD clause....

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
Sayre Law Offices, PLLC
1417 31st Ave South
Seattle WA 98144-3909
206-625-0092
eric at sayrelawoffices.com<mailto:eric at sayrelawoffices.com>

Covid-19 Update - All attorneys are working remotely during regular business hours and are available via email and by phone. Videoconferencing also is available. Signing of estate planning documents can be completed and will be handled on a case-by-case basis. Please direct mail and deliveries to the Seattle office.