[WSBAPT] Closing an estate with a very unusual beneficiary

Sarah J. Dion SDion at skellengerbender.com
Mon Jan 31 21:27:36 PST 2022

Hi listmates-

Really hoping on the hive mind for this one!

I have an estate with a beneficiary who is a prisoner in another country. This person is going to be in prison for a very, very long time. He is a citizen both of the US and of the other country.

In 2020, the PR was able to speak with this beneficiary (who is a family member of the decedent and the PR) to discuss options to close the estate. My client offered to act trustee of a trust, and send money annually to go into the beneficiary's prisoner account. The beneficiary agreed this was the best plan. We sent him paperwork to create the trust and close the estate, but have not heard from him for over a year. We think this is due to COVID lockdowns and the like. At any rate, we are completely unable to communicate with him and are not sure when/if that is going to change.

I am looking for ideas of how to close this estate properly, given this situation. I considered a custodial account of some kind, but the amount at issue is small, and would not justify the appointment of a professional fiduciary. My client is not looking to remain involved at this point and I think that is probably a wise decision.

I seem to recall hearing about some kind of court registry of funds, but I cannot find mention of it. Could we ask the Court to hold the funds for this beneficiary? Other ideas?

We are aware of RCW 72.09.480 regarding inmate funds being subject to a variety of deductions-I do not believe, based on the definitions in that statute, that this beneficiary qualifies as an "inmate." Or, if he does, this is the least of our problems!

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or knowledge you can pass on.

Sarah Jael Dion
PRINCIPAL
skellenger bender
TRUSTS AND ESTATES PRACTICE
Estate Planning | Probate

PHONE 206.623.6501 | FAX 206.447.1973
sdion at skellengerbender.com |<mailto:sdion at skellengerbender.com%20%7C>www.skellengerbender.com<http://www.skellengerbender.com/>
1301 Fifth Ave., Suite 3401 | Seattle, WA 98101
Pronouns:  she/her
NOTICE:  This communication and the information contained within, along with any items attached as an enclosure, are privileged and confidential.  This communication is intended solely for the use of the individual(s) named above.  If you are not one of the intended addresses or you believe you may have received this communication in error, you are hereby notified that any consideration, dissemination or duplication of this communication is strictly prohibited.  In addition, you shall not print, copy, retransmit, disseminate, or otherwise use this information in any form without first receiving specific written permission from the author of this communication.  If you have received this communication in error, please reply to the sender indicating that fact and delete this message from your system immediately.