[WSBAPT] Half Interest in Marital House Left to Spouse

Diane J. Kiepe DJKiepe at depdslaw.com
Mon Jan 24 18:32:27 PST 2022

Dan,

I can see myself making an argument either way but would need a few more facts.  I will say however, in this instance, it leans towards being separate property in large part – if there was a significant remodel maybe some tracing.  When I have a case like this I will almost see if there is a way for surviving spouse to keep the home (family allowance in lieu of bequest, see if son would disclaim, etc. etc.).

One point, in any event, that I would point out, is that in a case like this, I often will require the surviving spouse to have separate representation in her position as a beneficiary to avoid any claims of conflict.  Just some food for thought.  This is not necessary of course if the parties just agree to a distribution plan and you memorialize it in a TEDRA,

Best to you,

Diane J. Kiepe

Diane J. Kiepe
Douglas Eden