[WSBAPT] How much Diligence is required?

Sara Longley sara at ivylawgroup.com
Mon Jan 10 16:30:23 PST 2022

I have no answers but I do have the same question, for a probate of a single man with no known family who left his estate to a friend via a properly executed will.  The friend knows he was an only child and believes he has no surviving family but of course they don't know what they don't know.

I'd love to know if anyone has been advised by a court on this issue or has "best practices" advice short of a full heir search, in a situation where said heirs don't stand to inherit anything.

I hope this isn't hijacking your question!

Best,
Sara Longley

Sara D. Longley
Senior Attorney