[WSBAPT] Trust protector to approve amendment/revocation of living trust?

Laura Latta laura at lauralatta.com
Thu Jan 6 16:15:01 PST 2022

Happy New Year!

Has anyone used a trust protector in a living trust to approve or
disapprove amendments or revocation of the living trust by the
surviving grantor?

I've used trust protectors to make management or distribution decisions in
an irrevocable trust, but never have done so to oversee the grantor's
exercise of his/her power to amend and revoke a living trust. For some
reason this feels "off" to me and wondered what others think about this
approach to protecting a potentially vulnerable, but not incapacitated,
surviving grantor from being taken advantage of after the death of the
first spouse/grantor?

What if the trust protector is also a beneficiary? My reading of
11.98B.030(2)(d)(i) seems to prohibit this.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.
--

*Laura LattaLaw Office of Laura Latta PLLC*

she/her

Phone (206) 841-2344

www.LauraLatta.com

PO Box 82356

Kenmore, WA 98028

*NOTICE:  This communication may contain privileged or other confidential
information. If you have received it in error, please advise the sender by
replying to this email and immediately delete the message and any
attachments without copying it or disclosing its contents to others.*