[WSBAPT] Survey: Publish Notice to Heirs

Eric Nelsen eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Fri Feb 18 12:57:12 PST 2022

I don't. I don't think it has much practical effect. My analysis has been: The PR's duty is to use reasonable diligence to determine identity and address of heirs. The purpose is to provide due process for heirs, and the cases I have reviewed all center on whether or not actual notice was mailed/served on the particular heir and whether or not the PR had used reasonable diligence to locate them.

I don't think there is case authority, in a probate context, that publication of a notice of pendency of probate has any effect on the unknown heirs' due process rights. The question is still, did the PR use reasonable diligence to ascertain who and where they are. If the PR did not, publication won't help; if the PR did, then I think publication is unnecessary (though possibly helpful in a tangential way in demonstrating an effort to give notice?).

RCW 11.28.237 does say that "personal service" is one way to give notice to an heir, but I don't think publication of summons qualifies as that. Plus, as a practical matter, RCW 4.28.140 won't work-it specifies that the form of publication has to be "in the same manner as in actions against nonresident defendants," which is in RCW 4.28.110, and that form of summons is clearly a 60-day summons to answer a civil action, and not a Notice of Pendency in a probate administration.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
Sayre Law Offices, PLLC
1417 31st Ave South
Seattle WA 98144-3909
206-625-0092
eric at sayrelawoffices.com<mailto:eric at sayrelawoffices.com>

Covid-19 Update - All attorneys are working remotely during regular business hours and are available via email and by phone. Videoconferencing also is available. Signing of estate planning documents can be completed and will be handled on a case-by-case basis. Please direct mail and deliveries to the Seattle office.