[WSBAPT] Question about revocable/irrevocable trust

Mark Reinhardt MReinhardt at rehberglaw.com
Fri Feb 18 12:27:16 PST 2022

Dear Candace,

Heather is correct, the client would need to forego their ability to amend/revoke the trust in any way, along with surrendering the rights as a beneficiary, and service as a Trustee.  This would be a taxable gift to son, as the next beneficiary.  Since there are a host of provisions that may be overlooked that will cause the living trust to nevertheless be brought back into her taxable estate - such as the requirement in most LTs that its assets be used to pay estate expenses and taxes - it would be best to start with an Irrevocable Trust.

***When responding to this email, please reply all***

Kind regards,
Mark A. Reinhardt
Attorney
Rehberg Law Group, PLLC
Ryan Y Rehberg, Partner | Mark A. Reinhardt, Partner | James A. Davies, Partner | J. Sabrina Go, Partner |
Grayson E. Chester | Waylon L. Poland

Assistant - Victoria Norman | vnorman at rehberglaw.com<mailto:vnorman at rehberglaw.com>
SeaTac - (mailing address) 18000 International Blvd, Suite 550, SeaTac, WA 98188
Bellevue - 1400 112th Ave SE, Suite 100, Bellevue, WA 98004
Phone - 206.246.8772 ext. 333 | Toll Free 877.246.8772 | Fax 206.454.7910
Email - mreinhardt at rehberglaw.com<mailto:mreinhardt at rehberglaw.com>
Connect - rehberglaw.com<file:///\\rlg-server02\data\Employee%20Folders\andie\ALS\Email%20Signatures\rehberglaw.com> | Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/RehbergLawGroupPLLC/> | LinkedIn<https://www.linkedin.com/company/rehberg-law-group-pllc/> | Join the Rehberg Law Group Newsletter<http://visitor.r20.constantcontact.com/d.jsp?llr=ay8zc9bab&p=oi&m=1101460729600&sit=dzioz88bb&f=46130d29-cd26-4d90-89ea-1b62cacb4ca4>