[WSBAPT] Can Beneficiary Refuse Distribution of RP?

Diane J. Kiepe DJKiepe at depdslaw.com
Wed Feb 9 08:17:45 PST 2022

Hello John,

In a situation where you suspect a beneficiary is not happy with such a transfer, I probably would not do the transfer standing alone.  As we know the Trustee has a fiduciary responsibility to all beneficiaries and I would question why he feels like, for all beneficiaries, this transfer makes sense.  Having the power to do something, in of itself, is not a defense to the overriding fiduciary duty, in my opinion.  I don't think you can force real estate on someone.

You may want to look at the 30 day notice in in RCW 11.98.145 which implies that while pro rata distributions are allowed, beneficiary can object to same.

Ultimately, of course the Trustee will make the call but I think you must counsel him on the point above, the right to do something does not mean that action stands above challenge.

Best of luck to you.

Diane J. Kiepe

Diane J. Kiepe
Douglas Eden