[WSBAPT] Estate Tax EIN

Philip N. Jones pjones at duffykekel.com
Mon Feb 7 15:10:31 PST 2022

The claiming successor should have no difficulty in obtaining an EIN by completing the Form SS-4 as if the small estate were actually a probate estate.  It is my understanding that people do it all the time.
Just to be picky, I would not call it an "estate tax EIN."  Your second reference to an "estate EIN" is better.  The IRS processed estate tax returns under the decedent's SSN, while the fiduciary income tax returns are processed under the EIN.  This also becomes important if you ever file a form 2848 IRS power of attorney.
Phil Jones
Portland, OR

Philip N. Jones
Duffy Kekel LLP