[WSBAPT] Tax Implications re Disclaimer or TEDRA

Heather de Vrieze heatherd at westseattlelaw.com
Wed Aug 24 16:28:16 PDT 2022

Inge,

Unless there is some provision in the Will that would direct son’s share elsewhere, if you are within 9 months of dad’s death, a disclaimer by son would be a great way to get this property to the daughter.

I’ll defer to the tax gurus, but believe that unless there is a real dispute that is being settled by the execution of a TEDRA, the agreement does not change the fact that son is making a gift to daughter and a 709 would be required. At least that is what I would advise a client. If it is settlement of a real dispute, the analysis might be different.

My two cents on a warm afternoon.

Heather

Heather S. de Vrieze
Attorney-at-Law
[cid:image002.jpg at 01D8B7D6.3FD83D10]
3909 California Avenue SW
Seattle, WA 98116-3705
(206)938-5500
heatherd at westseattlelaw.com<mailto:heatherd at westseattlelaw.com>
www.westseattlelaw.com<http://www.westseattlelaw.com/>
Click here to connect with de Vrieze | Carney on Facebook:   [FB Logo] <https://www.facebook.com/DeVriezeCarney>

Please note that the de Vrieze | Carney PLLC summer schedule which begins the week of July 11th and continues through the week of August 22nd.

CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED. This e-mail message may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this e-mail message and any attachment.