[WSBAPT] tax payment provisions

Diane J. Kiepe DJKiepe at depdslaw.com
Fri Aug 19 10:36:08 PDT 2022

When planning for high net worth (HNW) couples, there should be no estate tax on the first death but it's possible (non-us citizen spouse so limited marital deduction, drop in Federal exemption with prior to death of first person and prior lifetime large gifts) assuming a Federal/State QTIP for amounts above state exemption (disregard qtip over state election part).  I am struggling as  I read my language on what source should pay any death taxes on the death of the first spouse.  I feel like there is something I have known about this in the past but am now forgetting.

As noted, in the general scheme of things this won't be an issue but I am giving really needing to get some thoughts on this - thanks in advance.

Diane J. Kiepe

Diane J. Kiepe
Douglas Eden
717 W. Sprague Ave.