[WSBAPT] Clearing title

Dewey Weddle DWWeddle at msn.com
Wed Aug 3 11:55:13 PDT 2022

Oh wise ones,

I would greatly appreciate some advice.

A couple lived together for about 30 years in a committed intimate relationship.  They did not have children.  During this time they acquired a piece of property and it is titled in both their names.

Lady died two years ago.  No Will.  No probate. Nobody came forward to settle her estate, including her partner.  He just carried on as usual.

Gentleman died a year ago with a Will, and a "Community-Like Property Affidavit for Recordation" (drafted by an attorney) asserting that the property was community property, and under our laws regarding committed intimate relationships, title should vest in surviving partner.  The gentleman's estate is being probated, and the PR would like to sell the property and distribute the proceeds to the beneficiaries.  I have never heard of a "Community-Like Property Affidavit for Recordation," and I am thinking that if nobody else has heard of such a thing, it is not something a title company will recognize.

Have any of you heard of a  "Community-Like Property Affidavit for Recordation"?  Would it be effective to get deceased lady's name off the title?  If not, then how do I do so?  I am thinking Quiet Title action, but there are no known defendants.  I know I can name unknown defendants and serve them by publication, but I am unsure as to how to proceed otherwise.  What is the best, most efficient way out of this mess?

Best regards,

Dewey ​​

Law Office of Dewey W. Weddle, PLLC

909 7th Street