[WSBAPT] (no subject)

Diane J. Kiepe DJKiepe at depdslaw.com
Wed Apr 27 12:16:08 PDT 2022

Jane-

Thanks for that insight

Diane J. Kiepe

Douglas Eden
717 W. Sprague Ave.
Suite 1500
Spokane, WA  99201
djkiepe at depdslaw.com<mailto:djkiepe at depdslaw.com>
509-455-5300

From: wsbapt-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com <wsbapt-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com> On Behalf Of Jane Bitz
Sent: Wednesday, April 27, 2022 10:48 AM
To: WSBA Probate & Trust Listserv <wsbapt at lists.wsbarppt.com>
Subject: Re: [WSBAPT] (no subject)

One other consideration for a life estate is that the State can make an estate recovery from the value of a decedent’s life estate if they receive Medicaid assistance for long term care during their lifetime. And if the surviving partner’s children want to “buy out” the life estate from their parent, the values are assigned by a life estate valuation chart that is not very favorable and certainly not governed by real world market values. Example: the life estate for 75 year old is .52149 of the fair market value of the property interest.

So if the surviving partner owns 40% of the property and the life estate for the 60% share, the State could recover up to about 72% of the value of the property at the death of the surviving partner. The State’s estate recovery is dollar for dollar of what the Medicaid program spends on the surviving partner’s care.

Jane.

Jane G. Bitz
Of Counsel | Wolff, Hislop & Crockett, PLLC
Helping Good People do Great Things!
12209 E. Mission Ave., Suite 5
Spokane Valley, WA 99206
(509) 927-9700 (Phone)
(509) 777-1800 (Fax)
jbitz at whc-attorneys.com<mailto:jbitz at whc-attorneys.com> [Email]
www.whc-attorneys.com<http://www.wolffandhislop.com/>

[signatureLogo][cid:image002.png at 01D85A30.91611B60][cid:image003.jpg at 01D85A30.91611B60]

THE CONTENTS OF THIS ELECTRONIC MAIL ARE CONFIDENTIAL AND PROTECTED BY THE ATTORNEY-CLIENT PRIVILEGE OR OTHER APPLICABLE PROTECTION.  Any review, use, distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this electronic mail in error, PLEASE NOTIFY ME BY E-MAIL, FAX OR TELEPHONE and PROMPTLY DELETE this electronic mail.  This mail cannot be modified without the express written consent of Wolff, Hislop, & Crockett, PLLC.  Thank You.