[WSBAPT] civil harassment statues

Andrekita Silva ak at seattle-silvalaw.com
Thu Apr 21 17:12:49 PDT 2022

  Law Office of
F.ANDREKITA SILVA

April 21, 2022

Roger,

The district court was addressing only the second prong of what is required.

The 2002 Stockbridge case addresses the burden of proof. According to
RCW 10.14.080(5), a two- step process is required. First, the
Petitioner must state the reasons why they seek to review the
anti-harassment protection order.  If they do that (and the court is
persuaded by the reasons) the court must grant the petition “unless
the respondent proves by a preponderance of the evidence that the
respondent will not resume harassment.“

This is unlike a domestic violence protection order where a new act of
violence is NOT required for extension of the order.  So, not easy,
but not as hard in antiharassment for a perpetrator to rid themselves
of the order.

So, in a DV case, a perpetrator could move to another state and that,
alone would never be enough to stop renewal.

But, in antiharassment, if one neighbor A got a protection order
against neighbor B because neighbor B verbally abused them every time
they saw them outside the house, if they were both renters, and B's
lease ended and B moved out of state, and if the only abuse ever
occurred in person, I suspect it would be hard to get a renewal.   If
A and B were both homeowners, still living next door, I suspect it
could be easier for A to show "reasons" for seeking the renewal. Then,
that burden would shift to B.

So, the judge may have misunderstood the law , or you only heard part
of what went on.

andrekita
Law Office of F. Andrekita Silva
1325 Fourth Avenue, Suite 2000