[WSBAPT] Missing item

deborah at neillaw.com deborah at neillaw.com
Fri Apr 15 13:59:37 PDT 2022

Amy,

I believe that the law in Washington on what happens when a specific bequests fails because of ademption is unclear.  I found a presentation from a 2013 CLE (thanks Rob Nettleton) that talks about how other jurisdictions look at the issue.  Some jurisdictions use the “strict ademption theory”—the bequest doesn’t exist at the time of the testator’s death, and so the bequest is extinguished. Other jurisdictions follow the “intent theory of ademption” —basically cash can replace gift (Forbes v. Burketts, 181 So.2d 681 (1966).

A TEDRA solves everything.

Deborah Jameson
(Pronouns: she/her/hers)

Neil & Neil, P.S.
5302 Pacific Avenue
Tacoma, WA  98408
253-475-8600
253-473-5746 FAX

If your matter is urgent, please call my office.  Also, this message is not encrypted and it may not be secure or protected by attorney-client privilege.