[WSBAPT] Can a WA attorney draft a WA living trust to hold title to a WA property, where all grantors live out of state?

Sarah McCarthy sarah at kawlawyers.com
Fri Apr 1 15:27:15 PDT 2022

It's been my practice to only draft estate planning documents for clients
who are residents of the State of WA.  If an out of state resident contacts
my office wanting a living trust created to hold title to a piece of dirt
here in WA, I would always tell the person to have the living trust drafted
in the state where the grantor resides - and I would handle the limited
piece of quit claiming the piece of dirt into the trust created by an
attorney in the grantor's state of residence.

Now I have a situation where 4 siblings co-own a piece of Washington dirt.
None of the siblings lives in WA, and they all live in separate states.
They all want to create a living trust, which would hold title to the
property, for the lifetime benefit of 2 of the siblings (residents of Idaho
and Hawaii), and for the eventual benefit of the collective set of
kids/nieces/nephews.

In this circumstance, since WA is the situs of the piece of dirt in
question, it's seeming like it may be appropriate for this trust to be
drafted under the laws of the State of WA.

But, this still feels odd.

Anyone think this sounds like a problem, or a-okay?

*Sarah O’Farrell McCarthy*

*(Pronouns: she / her)*Attorney | Kelly, Arndt & Walker, Attorneys at Law,
PLLP
P.O. Box 290 | 6443 Harding Avenue | Clinton, WA  98236

(Located on Whidbey Island, Island County, Washington)
Phone: (360) 341-1515 | Fax: (360) 341-3272
sarah at kawlawyers.com | www.kawlawyers.com

This electronic message transmission contains information from the law firm
of Kelly, Arndt & Walker, PLLP which may be confidential or privileged.
This information is intended to be for the use of the individual or entity
named above,  If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any
further review, disclosure, printing, copying, distribution, or use of the
contents of this transmission is prohibited. If you have received this
electronic message transmission in error, please notify us immediately by
reply e-mail and delete the original message.  Thank you.

We do not accept service of any kind by e-mail unless expressly authorized
in writing by the attorney of record.  This e-mail is NOT a contract and is
not binding upon the author pursuant to CR 2A. This e-mail is, at most, a
negotiation under ER 408.