[WSBAPT] beneficiary dies after incomplete distribution - intestate estate

Philip N. Jones pjones at duffykekel.com
Thu Sep 23 20:46:38 PDT 2021

Doesn’t the check belong to the estate of the deceased daughter?  Doesn’t it require probate?  The intestacy laws that relate to your decedent might not apply to daughter; she might have had a will, for example.  I’m not trying to cause extra work here, but there is a reason (or two) for probate, such as protecting daughter’s creditors. The PR needs to CYA.  As do you.
The daughter’s estate can cash the check.  No need to re-open your probate.  Not your problem.  The question you ae asking seems to be someone else’s problem.
Or am I missing something here?  Is it getting too late to try to answer these questions?  Maybe tomorrow I will have a better answer . . . .
Phil Jones

Philip N. Jones
Duffy Kekel LLP
900 S.W. Fifth Ave. Suite 2500