[WSBAPT] King County Lack of Probate Affidavit?

Heather de Vrieze heatherd at westseattlelaw.com
Fri Sep 17 14:07:27 PDT 2021

I agree with Mike. I use affidavits with a death certificate copy attached frequently in two circumstances.

  1.  A community property agreement was in place to confirm all assets to surviving spouse and we want to demonstrate for the record that one spouse has died and the terms of the agreement come into effect. The Community Property (Lack of Probate) Affidavit I record at that time confirms ownership in the surviving spouse and likely resolves questions a title company may have later when survivor or their estate is selling or refinancing.
  2.  Where property is being sold or mortgaged by a surviving spouse or their estate and the title company requests the lack of probate affidavit to insure title (without probate) in the survivor or new owner. The title company usually records these, or will record a short form of it.
In most other circumstances I believe that probate is the proper way to clear a deceased spouse off of title and transfer ownership to the survivor. It is not a mechanism of transfer under the law.

Heather

Heather S. de Vrieze
Attorney-at-Law
[cid:image001.jpg at 01D7ABCD.576EE610]
3909 California Avenue SW
Seattle, WA 98116-3705
(206)938-5500
heatherd at westseattlelaw.com<mailto:heatherd at westseattlelaw.com>
www.westseattlelaw.com<http://www.westseattlelaw.com/>
Click here to connect with de Vrieze | Carney on Facebook:   [FB Logo] <https://www.facebook.com/DeVriezeCarney>

CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED. This e-mail message may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this e-mail message and any attachment.