[WSBAPT] out of state probate and WA property

Douglas Owens dougowens at seattlerelawyer.com
Tue Sep 7 12:27:05 PDT 2021

Dear listmates, I have a client whose father passed away owning three fourths of a small parcel of undeveloped land in Mason County, and my client is his sole heir.  That is not the problem.  The one fourth was owned by a woman who also passed away, and a probate of her estate is being conducted in Illinois, but no ancillary probate has begun in Washington for this property.  The property is worth about $10k only.  There apparently is no other WA property in her estate.  There are two heirs of the woman, one lives in Japan, the other in Illinois.  The client wants to deal with the personal representative of the Illinois probate to obtain a deed for the one fourth interest but I am concerned that without an ancillary probate in WA a title company would not recognize such a deed.  Am I correct in my concern and if so is there any work-around such as a LOPA for the Washington asset?  Thanks for your wisdom.   Yours truly, Doug Owens