[WSBAPT] What is the correct procedure / venue to seek reimbursment/ compensation from a Guardian?

Andrekita Silva ak at seattle-silvalaw.com
Fri Sep 3 02:16:23 PDT 2021

Law Office of
F.ANDREKITA SILVA

                                                  September 3, 2021

Listserve,

I have a client, Father of adult IP, who is presently the Standby
Guardian. He would like to remove the Guardian (his EX and Mom of IP)
and have himself appointed. He believes EX has breached her fiduciary
duty to IP.  He wants the Guardian to reimburse him (Father) for funds
he expended to care for the adult IP for the last 3 ½ years. He
swears, and there is good evidence, that the IP has at all times lived
with him, and never with the Guardian. Guardian’s Accounting and
Budget each year has claimed expenses for caring for IP. Since she
doesn’t actually incur these expenses, and they are subtracted from
IP’s account, presumably she is paying herself.

Would the Father make this demand in the form of a claim per RCW 11.92.035?
So, Father would file a civil action against Guardian ?

Or can Father file a motion to remove the Guardian and to appoint
himself and in that motion, ask to be compensated within the
Guardianship action?
If Guardian is removed, Guaridan must petition the court under
RCW 11.92.040 for approval of her accounting. Would Father instead
wait until that time to make his demand?

(it looks like a lot of these procedures are only good until Jan. 1,
2022. I haven’t figured out the new statute after that).

  I read the Kwiatkowski v. Seattle First case. It says that a ward
(the IP) can’t pursue litigation related to the administration of
estate after the guardian has been discharged.  I assume that applies
to 3rd parties as well? So, I am concerned that I bring any motions
and / or claims in the right order or in the right venue. I don't know
if I am even reading the case correctly.

This is in Snohomish County.  Can anyone provide me guidance on my
situation?

andrekita
Law Office of F. Andrekita Silva
1325 Fourth Avenue, Suite 2000