[WSBAPT] TEDRA Statute of Limitations Question

Jerimy Kirschner jerimy at jkirschnerlaw.com
Tue Oct 26 15:26:14 PDT 2021

Hello Jensen,

Have you looked at a fraud/discovery rule angle?  Is it a diminished
capacity and/or fiduciary presumed undue influence?

On Tue, Oct 26, 2021 at 3:18 PM Jensen Mauseth <jmauseth at mausethlegal.com>
wrote:

> Good afternoon everyone. Hoping you can help me resolve a statute of
> limitations question.
>

> Decedent had a revocable living trust that was drafted in 2013 naming a
> third party, we’ll call her Joan, as Trustee. In January 2015, decedent
> signed an amendment to the trust removing his sons as beneficiary and
> naming Joan as sole beneficiary. Consequently, after the amendment Joan was
> sole beneficiary and sole trustee. (*See *RCW 11.98.011(1)(e)). A month
> after the amendment, Joan transfers all of the trust assets out of the
> trust and into her own revocable living trust. Decedent dies in spring 2021
> and son is named as Administrator. Upon investigation, son learns of the
> 2015 amendment and the transfer of real estate for the first time in late
> spring 2021.
>

> My questions are these:
>
>    1. Does the 3-year SOL under RCW 11.96A.070 apply to a determination
>    of the validity of the 2015 Amendment? (I don’t think it does because the
>    request for declaratory judgment re the validity of the Amendment is not a
>    claim against the Trustee….)
>

>    1. Does a 6-year SOL under RCW 4.16.040 for claims on a contract apply
>    to the validity of the 2015 Amendment to the trust?
>

> Any citations to case law would be great.
>

> Thanks for your help and insight.
>

> Best regards,
>
> Jensen
>

> *Jensen Mauseth*
>
> *Mauseth Legal, PLLC*
>
> *Bothell Office*
>
> 22618 Bothell-Everett Hwy, Ste. D
>
> Bothell, WA 98021
>
> *Edmonds Office*
>
> 144 Railroad Ave., Ste. 308
>
> Edmonds, WA 98020
>
> www.mausethlegal.com
>
> jmauseth at mausethlegal.com
>
> (p) 425.242.5111
>
> (f)  425.242.5114
>

> This e-mail contains information that may be confidential and privileged.
> Unless you are the addressee (or authorized to receive messages for the
> addressee), you may not use, copy or disclose this message, or any
> information contained herein. If you have received this message in error,
> please advise the sender by reply e-mail and delete this message.  Nothing
> in this message should be interpreted as a digital or electronic signature
> that can be used to authenticate a contract or legal document.
> Unauthorized use of this information in any manner is prohibited.
> others.***

Jerimy Kirschner, Esq.
Managing Partner
Jerimy Kirschner & Associates PLLC

*WASHINGTON*

1750 112th Avenue NE, Suite B-215

Bellevue, WA 98004

Phone: (206) 623-4444

Fax (206) 538-2008

*NEVADA     *

5550 Painted Mirage Rd., Suite 320

Las Vegas, NV 89149

Phone: (702) 563-4444

Fax (702) 563-4445

Notice: This fax or email is from a law firm, Jerimy Kirschner & Associates
("JKA"), and is intended solely for the use and review of the individual(s)
to whom it is addressed. If you have received this fax or email in error,
please notify the sender immediately and destroy the fax and/or delete the
email from your computer.

If you are not an existing client of JKA, it is not the intent of this fax
or email to make you a client unless it contains a specific written
statement to that effect and do not disclose anything to JKA in reply that
you expect it to hold in confidence.

*IRS Circular 230 Disclaimer*: Any tax advice provided in this
communication (including attachments) is not intended or written to be
used, and it cannot be used, by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for
the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or
any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to
another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement
or other transaction.