[WSBAPT] Defunct marriage in probate

Andrekita Silva ak at seattle-silvalaw.com
Thu Oct 7 20:18:28 PDT 2021

  Law Office of
F.ANDREKITA SILVA

                                                  October 7, 2021

Dalynne,

I have never tried to make the argument you suggest but it seems like
it would be a really difficult one to make.

If you have not read In Re Marriage of Himes (1988) , it is a divorce
case but you might read that case to see if there is any language in
it or if it gives you any ideas that might help you develop a theory
or policy argument.

Before you get to policy arguments, you would have an evidentiary
barrier. To prove the marriage is defunct, you would need testimony by
someone. The dead man’s statute would preclude a party with an
interest from testifying about their transactions with the deceased.
In the Himes case, the Petitioner was able to get the court to vacate
a divorce order after Ex-H’s death where she’d been deprived of due
process by her exH’s fraud. Deceased X had secured an order to publish
notice, rather than giving ex-W actual notice using fraudulent
representations to the court. There, Petitioner was able to prove his
fraud by objective facts placed before the court.

If the kids had evidence that deceased wife had tried to divorce her
spouse- had done an exhaustive search and couldn’t find him, ran out
of money so couldn’t ask for an order permitting notice by
publication, etc. and eventually just abandoned her efforts, AND
surviving husband admits marriage was irretrievably broken, maybe you
would at least have some evidence that the marriage was defunct.

But, a defunct marriage requires both parties to have abandoned the
marriage. Parties are separated for all sorts of reasons, and any
small benefit to either party for not divorcing each other can
contraindicate that the marriage was defunct.

Even if you were to show the marriage were defunct, I think you’d need
to come up with some pretty hefty policy arguments. It seems like the
court would not want to give a person who never initiated a divorce
greater rights than a person has who HAS actually initiated a divorce.
If a party files for divorce, then dies, the marriage abates
(terminates by operation of law).  So, the surviving spouse, unless
they murdered the deceased, has the same rights of inheritance and is
no different than a surviving spouse of a good marriage.

It seems unfair that the surviving estranged spouse gets to share in
the deceased’s estate. But, I think it happens all the time.  Maybe
you can do a bunch of research, develop an argument and then negotiate
a settlement with surviving husband?

andrekita
Law Office of F. Andrekita Silva
1325 Fourth Avenue, Suite 2000
Seattle, Washington 98101
206-224-8288
www.seattle-silvalaw.com

Links:
------
[1] https://www.witherspoonkelley.com/marcus-j-fry
[2] https://www.witherspoonkelley.com/s/mfj.vcf
[3]
https://link.edgepilot.com/s/9d29c1f4/iyoFWkTdx069zE_2V_PThg?u=https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.superlawyers.com_redir-3Fr-3Dhttp-3A__www.superlawyers.com_washington_lawyer_Gary-2DManca_ca059d21-2D1b6e-2D4fca-2Db396-2D80c253f82402.html-26c-3Demail-5FSmall-5Fbadge-26i-3Dca059d21-2D1b6e-2D4fca-2Db396-2D80c253f82402%26d=DwMGaQ%26c=4VfW4Y7UDKzr0jHM1Tk29w%26r=wJy-5dBh2e8cdp8KTDyWsjq7WPfG_HRNpImWO5yfs2A%26m=FCmO2jSMMhwxfYb-8WN5A3L-M6GKeJ_8gc6cS3vECHM%26s=z2j9M4GPJAL7pempIOe0TGAPkMWrzXJSlY1lyMRDlRg%26e%3D