[WSBAPT] Heir in prison

Joshua McKarcher josh at mckarcherlaw.com
Mon Oct 4 18:46:43 PDT 2021

To my understanding, the planning would have had to have been completed before the death of the decedent who left the imprisoned heir an inheritance.

If the imprisoned heir’s interest has already vested by the death of the benefactor (as I infer), I would be very careful of trying to circumvent the rights of the heir’s creditors, etc. Using a disclaimer to achieve that outcome could place the heir’s adult children at risk of having the fine collectors and tax collectors knocking on their door.

All my best, Josh

Joshua D. McKarcher
McKarcher Law PLLC
537 6th Street