[WSBAPT] abandoned personal property

Diane J. Kiepe DJKiepe at depdslaw.com
Mon Nov 15 09:36:36 PST 2021

Thanks!

Diane J. Kiepe

Douglas Eden
717 W. Sprague Ave.
Suite 1500
Spokane, WA  99201
djkiepe at depdslaw.com<mailto:djkiepe at depdslaw.com>
509-455-5300

From: wsbapt-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com <wsbapt-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com> On Behalf Of Eric Nelsen
Sent: Monday, November 15, 2021 9:29 AM
To: WSBA Probate & Trust Listserv <wsbapt at lists.wsbarppt.com>
Subject: Re: [WSBAPT] abandoned personal property

I would hesitate before conceding that a bailment exists; that particular type of legal relationship is pretty tangled. See Collins v. Boeing Co., 4 Wn.App. 705, 483 P.2d 1282 (1971), describing the differences between consensual bailments and constructive or involuntary bailments. I am pretty sure that Ch. 63.24 RCW is only intended to deal with consensual bailments, like a car parked at a private lot or items at a pawnshop or storage unit or whatever: a situation where the owner delivers the property and the current possessor "assumes or accepts" possession. It is very much a matter of intention of each party. As Collins mentions, it's possible that "occupier's intention may be merely to permit the personal property to remain on the premises without any intention to assume either custody or possession..." 4 Wn.App. at 712. If a bailment is "gratuitous" then the duty is only of "slight care." Id. at 714, and cases cited there.

If the facts here support that the in-law has just left stuff at client's house with client's permission but without client intending to take "possession" of it, I think it would be permissible to give the owner reasonable notice that the stuff is all going to be put on the curb on X date unless they come to pick it up sooner. But in general, how much care I would take would depend in part on how valuable any of it is.

See also Eifler v. Shurgard Capital Management Corp., 71 Wn.App. 684, 861 P.2d 1071 (1993).

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
Sayre Law Offices, PLLC
1417 31st Ave South
Seattle WA 98144-3909
206-625-0092
eric at sayrelawoffices.com<mailto:eric at sayrelawoffices.com>

Covid-19 Update - All attorneys are working remotely during regular business hours and are available via email and by phone. Videoconferencing also is available. Signing of estate planning documents can be completed and will be handled on a case-by-case basis. Please direct mail and deliveries to the Seattle office.