[WSBAPT] Change of Attorney without Notifying Client

Andrekita Silva ak at seattle-silvalaw.com
Fri Nov 12 15:25:55 PST 2021

  Law Office of
F.ANDREKITA SILVA

                                                           NOVEMBER 12 , 2021

Jeff,

How do you know that prior lawyer didn't give notice to the PR that a
switch was being made?  Since you wouldn't ordinarily have direct
access to a represented party, I assume you are getting this
information second hand. So, there is a possibility that you were
given bad information.

This should have been a notice of Withdrawal and Substitution- so both
the old attorney and new attorney would sign. Since the action of two
lawyers is required, it means TWO lawyers would have proceeded
incorrectly in your case. It's so irregular it starts to sound less
probable that old lawyer just acted unilaterally and like there might
be another explanation.  How would old lawyer go about retaining a new
lawyer for PR without notice to the PR?   Wouldn't new lawyer want to
communicate with PR to make sure PR wanted them? Wouldn't they want to
secure  a legal services agreement signed by PR before stepping in?

Since a substitution of counsel doesn't require the 10 day notice to
opposing side, this could have been done by agreement of prior counsel
and PR.  It's also possible that PR fired prior lawyer and retained a
new lawyer, and that this was the reason the substitution was needed.

andrekita
Law Office of F. Andrekita Silva
1325 Fourth Avenue, Suite 2000
Seattle, Washington  98101