[WSBAPT] Contesting Divorce Settlement

Andrekita Silva ak at seattle-silvalaw.com
Thu Nov 11 20:16:39 PST 2021

  Law Office of
F.ANDREKITA SILVA

                     November 11, 2021

Amy,

I’ve never had a situation like this. But, I think the first thing you
have to do is pretend your PC is Mom.  If Mom were still alive, would
she have a cause of action and if so, how would she prove it?
Strategically, would Mom try to set aside the entire property
distribution or would the likelihood of success be greater if she
focused on a particular asset?

A divorce action is extinguished if a party dies prior to entry of a
final decree. However, a decree CAN be set aside pursuant to CR60. I
don’t think it matters that one of the parties has died.  It seems the
estate could represent the deceased's interests and sue on their behalf.

If you wanted to set aside per CR60, which subsection would it be? For
sections 1, 2, and 3, it has to be within one year.   I assume you are
alleging fraud? But how would this situation be any different from all
those clients who go into a mediation without a lawyer, enter into a
settlement, and six months later say “not fair, I was coerced.”  Or,
clients who don’t even bother to go to mediation, they just agree to
whatever spouse puts in front of them?

I once had a parenting plan set aside almost a year after its entry.
Husband was physically abusive and controlling, wife was
unsophisticated and had moderate English language skills. She had
never worked outside the home, had no issues of concern (like drugs,
alcohol, mental health) but agreed decree gave Dad custody. The
divorce decree wasn’t vacated but the parenting plan was. But, per
washington law, abusive parties aren't usually awarded the primary
care.

So, you would need facts egregious enough to set it apart from
litigants who sit on their rights and later regret having done so. I
think you'd have to prove actual fraud.

In your case, the person whose rights are in question is deceased and
not available to provide information. So, how and where will you get
your evidence?

When a quitclaim deed is executed a week after purchase, it doesn’t
look good and in a divorce case, I scrutinize the situation pretty
carefully. However, this isn’t always the result of coercion, etc./
L/E/NDERS/ require joinder. If the real property was purchased with
stepDad’s separate funds,  the quitclaim deed may have reflected the
agreement/ recognition that it was H's separate property.

Has PC asked to establish a probate?

How does PC know if there are or aren’t assets?

In regards to the money that may be owed, does PC have access to his
Mom’s financial statements? Can he ASK the stepdad if he paid the
money owed?

Was there valid service of process in the divorce matter?  If not,
orders are void unless wife ratified.

When did this couple last live together and why wouldn’t son know
where his mom was?

I think you also need ask enough questions that you can determine if
PC doesn’t have the information needed to sue stepdad on behalf of the
estate (for unpaid monies or for whatever PC thinks stepdad did or
didn’t do) because he was an uninvolved son or because his mom really
was a vulnerable adult whose communications were being restricted. Did
PC regularly call or text Mom, but Mom was obtuse or unresponsive? If
PC is really serious, PC should provide you all communications or
other evidence PC has that support his version of the facts.

PC should be willing to pay you for your time to review whatever
evidence he has.
PC also needs to let you have direct communications with those who
might be able to shed light on the situation- like stepdad. You need
to gather up enough reliable information so that you can evaluate to
decide if there are facts to support a claim for relief /OR/ if Mom
sat on her rights.

andrekita
Law Office of F. Andrekita Silva
1325 Fourth Avenue, Suite 2000